AMD EPYC™ 7002 Series Processor (Rome)
The next generation of AMD EPYC has arrived, providing incredible compute, IO and bandwidth capability – designed to meet the huge demand for more compute in big data analytics, HPC and cloud computing.
- Built on 7nm advanced process technology, allowing for denser compute capabilities with lower power consumption
- Up to 64 core per CPU, built using Zen 2 high performance cores and AMD’s innovative chiplet architecture
- Supporting PCIe Gen 4.0 with a bandwidth of up to 64GB/s, twice of PCIe Gen 3.0
- Embedded security protection to help defend your CPU, applications, and data
2X Performance Per Socket & IO Bandwidth
vs AMD EPYC Naples
4X Floating Point Per Socket
vs AMD EPYC Naples
Higher Memory Speed
AMD EPYC’s Rome 7002 Series processors feature faster 8 channel DDR4 memory lanes, supporting RDIMM or LRDIMM memory modules with a speed of up to 3200MHz (1 DIMM per channel)
Get the Memory Performance Edge
3200Mhz Even at 2 DIMMS Per Channel
On previous AMD server platforms, memory speed has been automatically downgraded by design when a user installed two DIMMs per channel. GIGABYTE has now developed a unique solution to overcome this performance downgrade headache: with our new 2nd Generation AMD EPYC 7002 Series server platforms, maximum memory speed (3200Mhz) is now supported even when using 2 DIMMS per channel*. GIGABYTE’s server platforms give you the performance edge, with more memory capacity at faster speeds than competing solutions!
* Enabled via BIOS setting (“UMC Common Options” -> “DDR4 Common Options” -> Configure “Enforce POR” setting). Please follow product QVL. Please consult your GIGABYTE sales or technical representative for more information.
R281-Z94 Block Diagram
R281-Z94 Product Overview
Dense, High Speed Storage Support
Onboard U.2 + M.2
GIGABYTE AMD EPYC™ platforms are designed to support U.2 and M.2 storage devices. Both use the NVMe protocol, taking advantage of the fast bandwidth of PCIe Gen3 x 4 lanes to deliver up to 32 Gb/s data transfer speeds, over 4 times the performance of SATA 3, giving you more flexibility to integrate some of the most dense and fastest storage devices on the market into your system.
TPM 2.0 Module*
GIGABYTE’s EPYC™ platform is designed to support Trusted Platform Modules (TPM – discrete cryptographic on-board processors).
(*Available from GIGABYTE as P/N: 9CTM000NR-00)
Carefully Selected Components
GIGABYTE’s passive components are carefully selected to guarantee a stable operating environment and allow the processors and the memory to deliver their maximum performance. GIGABYTE’s server motherboards are built with long lasting components for a high degree of reliability and durability.
Ease of Deployment and Management
GIGABYTE continues to be responsive to market needs and to create user-friendly solutions, including:
- Tool-less rail kit included as a default across all new server models
- Supplying multiple connector options and tools where appropriate
Efficient, Reliable Power Supply
GIGABYTE SERVER AMD EPYC™ servers are designed to guarantee high conversion efficiency regardless of load. Redundant 80 Plus ‘Titanium’ or ‘Platinum’ PSUs, combined with GIGABYTE’s precision engineering, translates to super efficient power usage which maximizes the system’s power : performance ratio and reduces OPEX for the user.
SCMP (Smart Crises Management / Protection)
SCMP is a GIGABYTE patented feature that will automatically force the system’s CPU to enter ULFM (ultra-low frequency mode for minimum power consumption) when the BMC is alerted to a PSU fault or error (such as power loss, power surge, overheating or a fan problem). This feature will prevent shutdown in systems with less than 1 + 1 PSU redundancy when one PSU is lost. In a 2U 4 Node server, only two nodes will be switched to low power mode, while two remaining nodes can continue normal operation. When the fault is resolved or the PSU is replaced, the system will automatically return to normal power mode.
System Loading Curve
GIGABYTE Server Management (GSM)
GIGABYTE Server Management (GSM) is GIGABYTE’s proprietary multiple server remote management software platform, available as a free download from each GIGABYTE server product page. GSM is compatible with either IPMI or Redfish (RESTful API) connection interfaces, and comprises the following sub-programs:
- GSM Server, a software program with an easy to use browser-based GUI to enable global remote monitoring and management of multiple GIGABYTE servers via each server node’s BMC.
- GSM CLI, a command-line interface program to enable global remote monitoring and management of multiple GIGABYTE servers via each server node’s BMC.
- GSM Agent*, a software program installed locally on each GIGABYTE server node that retrieves additional node information (CPU/Mem/HDD/PCI/…) from the OS and passes it to the BMC. This information can then be utilized by GSM Server or GSM CLI.
*GSM Agent is currently compatible with Avocent MergePoint IPMI 2.0 BMC firmware, but not yet compatible with Megarac SP-X BMC firmware.
- GSM Mobile, a remote server management mobile APP, available for both Android and iOS.
- GSM Plugin, a plugin that allows the user to manage and monitor GIGABYTE server nodes within VMware’s vCenter.
Intuitive & Informative User Interface
Starting from the GSM Server dashboard, the user can clearly understand the status of each node in the IT environment, including:
- Node connection status (system is online/offline)
- Node hardware sensor status (to detect hardware anomalies). Sensors measure voltage, fan speed and temperature
- Node usage rate status (allowing you to timely allocate more resources when they are needed), including:
- Power consumption
- Disk/RAID usage information
- Memory usage rate
- CPU usage rate
- Network card / PCI information
The user can also perform various management functions, including:
- Node remote access
- Power on / off / reset
- Launch iKVM
- Reboot BMC / BMC Account Configuration
- Network Configuration
- IPv4/IPv6 setting
- Alert Management
- SNMP trap setting
- Platform events filters
- Forwarding alerts by email
- BMC / BIOS / CPLD Update
- Power Consumption Limit Setting
- Group Management
- Create groups of nodes for BMC / BIOS update or manage power consumption settings
GSM Mobile for iOS and Android
A GSM Mobile app is available for download for both iOS and Android mobile phones for remote server management on the go.
Management through VMware vCenter
A GSM Plugin is available for VMware’s vCenter, allowing the user to perform remote monitoring and management of GIGABYTE server nodes without having to switch to a separate software platform.
GIGABYTE Management Console (AMI MegaRAC SP-X)
This GIGABYTE server product utilizes a AMI MegaRAC SP-X platform for BMC server management, with a feature rich and easy to use browser-based graphical user interface.
Notable features include:
- RESTful API support (including the latest DMTF standards of Redfish) allows the administrator to integrate with 3rd party applications for server management
- HTML5-based iKVM remote management client included as a standard feature, no additional add-on license required to purchase
- Detailed FRU information from SMBIOS
- Pre-event automatic video recording feature from 10 to 30 seconds
- SAS / RAID controller monitoring feature
Easy BIOS Refresh
GIGABYTE has also developed this integrated function (requiring no additional software) that allows users to update the BIOS of motherboards through the BMC controller:
- No need to install core components such as CPUs, memory, drives and OS
- No need to power on the system (NB. PSU must be connected)
- Update individual (IPMI 2.0) or multiple boards simultaneously (Command Line)
Dynamic Fan Speed Control
* Enabled on selected models & performed through BMC console management GUI
GIGABYTE Servers – Optimized for AMD EPYC™
GIGABYTE has demonstrated that our server design is perfectly optimized for AMD EPYC by achieving one of the top scores* of the SPEC CPU 2017 Benchmark for AMD EPYC single socket & dual socket systems.
*For single & dual socket AMD Naples platform vs other vendors as of September 2018
GIGABYTE maintains its commitment to green products, and adheres to the latest RoHS regulations (in effect July 2017).
VMware Technology Alliance Partner
Recognized as an Advanced Partner in VMware’s Technology Alliance Partner (TAP) program enables GIGABYTE to rapidly develop and certify joint solutions or go-to-market products that leverage VMware virtualization and cloud solutions, enabling our customers to modernize their data centers and implement IT infrastructure and application services with speed, agility, and cost optimization.
Enquire with your GIGABYTE sales representative for more information about combining or integrating this server product with VMware solutions.