- Dual AMD EPYC™ 7001 series processor family
- 8-Channel RDIMM/LRDIMM DDR4, 32 x DIMMs
- 2 x 1Gb/s BASE-T LAN ports (Intel® I350-AM2)
- 1 x Dedicated management port
- 24 x 2.5″ U.2, 2 x 2.5″ SATA/SAS hot-swappable HDD/SSD bays
- Ultra-Fast M.2 with PCIe Gen3 x4 interface
- 5 x PCIe Gen3 expansion slots
- Aspeed® AST2500 remote management controller
- 1600W 80 PLUS Platinum redundant PSU
- "Red Barn Minotaur XS2-4S60F2H-AI" cannot be added to your cart. Please choose a "Base Server" option.
Red Barn Golem AN2-2S24U2H1M-GB
AMD EPYC™ Processors
The New x86 Option
AMD’s return to the CPU segment delivers a whole new value proposition to the x86 world. Built on GIGABYTE’s extensive design expertise across a range of chipset platforms, this AMD EPYC™ platform is already receiving acclaim for its high specification:
- Network connectivity
This platform is intended as an alternative for builders in the x86 space and packs a real punch in flexibility and expansion options.
CPU Key Features
- Memory Optimization
Memory speed of up to 2666MHz (at 1DPC)
Total memory capacity of 4TB supported
- PCIe Lanes
Up to 128 lanes in both 1P and 2P offerings providing the highest expandability options of any x86 platform
- Cores / Power
CPU power is managed at the core level, meaning that power is allocated only for specific workload needs
Proprietary AMD security on chip
Both single- and dual-socket CPUs come equipped with 128x PCIe lanes, providing extensive I/O options. This is a huge improvement in I/O vs. incumbent x86 offerings.
Increased I/O allows for flexibility in extending your storage, networking or compute to a level previously unattainable with standard server motherboards.
In addition, the integrated nature of the processor – designed as a system-on-chip (SoC) – means that there is no need for a separate PCH and less additional switches needed for expansion lanes.
R281-Z92 Block Diagram
R281-Z92 Product Overview
GIGABYTE’s systems have a uniform backplane that is able to support exchangeable expanders offering both SAS and U.2 (or a combination) to allow for custom add-ons to meet different application needs.
Dense, High Speed Storage Support
Onboard U.2 + M.2
GIGABYTE AMD EPYC™ platforms are designed to support U.2 and M.2 storage devices. Both use the NVMe protocol, taking advantage of the fast bandwidth of PCIe Gen3 x 4 lanes to deliver up to 32 Gb/s data transfer speeds, over 4 times the performance of SATA 3, giving you more flexibility to integrate some of the most dense and fastest storage devices on the market into your system.
TPM 2.0 Module*
GIGABYTE’s EPYC™ platform is designed to support Trusted Platform Modules (TPM – discrete cryptographic on-board processors).
(*Available from GIGABYTE as P/N: 9CTM000NR-00)
Carefully Selected Components
GIGABYTE’s passive components are carefully selected to guarantee a stable operating environment and allow the processors and the memory to deliver their maximum performance. GIGABYTE’s server motherboards are built with long lasting components for a high degree of reliability and durability.
Ease of Deployment and Management
GIGABYTE continues to be responsive to market needs and to create user-friendly solutions, including:
- Tool-less rail kit included as a default across all new server models
- Supplying multiple connector options and tools where appropriate
Efficient, Reliable Power Supply
GIGABYTE SERVER AMD EPYC™ servers are designed to guarantee high conversion efficiency regardless of load. Redundant 80 Plus ‘Titanium’ or ‘Platinum’ PSUs, combined with GIGABYTE’s precision engineering, translates to super efficient power usage which maximizes the system’s power : performance ratio and reduces OPEX for the user.
Intelligent Power Management Features
To take advantage of the fact that a PSU will run at greater power efficiency with a higher loading, GIGABYTE has introduced a power management feature called Cold Redundancy for servers with dual PSU. When the total system loading falls lower than 40%, the system will automatically place one PSU into standby mode, enabling the other PSU to take over the greater load. This can enable total system power efficiency savings of up to 10%.
System Power Efficiency
SCMP (Smart Crises Management / Protection)
SCMP is a GIGABYTE patented feature that will automatically force the system’s CPU to enter ULFM (ultra-low frequency mode for minimum power consumption) when the BMC is alerted to a PSU fault or error (such as power loss, power surge, overheating or a fan problem). This feature will prevent shutdown in systems with less than 1 + 1 PSU redundancy when one PSU is lost. In a 2U 4 Node server, only two nodes will be switched to low power mode, while two remaining nodes can continue normal operation. When the fault is resolved or the PSU is replaced, the system will automatically return to normal power mode.
System Loading Curve
GIGABYTE Server Management (GSM)
GIGABYTE Server Management (GSM) is GIGABYTE’s proprietary multiple server remote management software platform, available as a free download from each GIGABYTE server product page. GSM is compatible with either IPMI or Redfish (RESTful API) connection interfaces, and comprises the following sub-programs:
- GSM Server, a software program with an easy to use browser-based GUI to enable global remote monitoring and management of multiple GIGABYTE servers via each server node’s BMC.
- GSM CLI, a command-line interface program to enable global remote monitoring and management of multiple GIGABYTE servers via each server node’s BMC.
- GSM Agent*, a software program installed locally on each GIGABYTE server node that retrieves additional node information (CPU/Mem/HDD/PCI/…) from the OS and passes it to the BMC. This information can then be utilized by GSM Server or GSM CLI.
*GSM Agent is currently compatible with Avocent MergePoint IPMI 2.0 BMC firmware, but not yet compatible with Megarac SP-X BMC firmware.
- GSM Mobile, a remote server management mobile APP, available for both Android and iOS.
- GSM Plugin, a plugin that allows the user to manage and monitor GIGABYTE server nodes within VMware’s vCenter.
Intuitive & Informative User Interface
Starting from the GSM Server dashboard, the user can clearly understand the status of each node in the IT environment, including:
- Node connection status (system is online/offline)
- Node hardware sensor status (to detect hardware anomalies). Sensors measure voltage, fan speed and temperature
- Node usage rate status (allowing you to timely allocate more resources when they are needed), including:
- Power consumption
- Disk/RAID usage information
- Memory usage rate
- CPU usage rate
- Network card / PCI information
The user can also perform various management functions, including:
- Node remote access
- Power on / off / reset
- Launch iKVM
- Reboot BMC / BMC Account Configuration
- Network Configuration
- IPv4/IPv6 setting
- Alert Management
- SNMP trap setting
- Platform events filters
- Forwarding alerts by email
- BMC / BIOS / CPLD Update
- Power Consumption Limit Setting
- Group Management
- Create groups of nodes for BMC / BIOS update or manage power consumption settings
GSM Mobile for iOS and Android
A GSM Mobile app is available for download for both iOS and Android mobile phones for remote server management on the go.
Management through VMware vCenter
A GSM Plugin is available for VMware’s vCenter, allowing the user to perform remote monitoring and management of GIGABYTE server nodes without having to switch to a separate software platform.
GIGABYTE BMC Interface
Easy BIOS Upgrade
GIGABYTE has developed this integrated function (requiring no additional software) that allows users to update the BIOS of motherboards through the BMC controller:
- No need to install core components such as CPUs, memory, drives and OS
- No need to power on the system (NB. PSU must be connected)
- Update individual (IPMI 2.0) or multiple boards simultaneously (Command Line)
Dynamic Fan Speed Control
GIGABYTE servers are enabled with dynamic fan speed adjustment. Individual fan speed will be automatically adjusted according to the system’s current temperature (according to CPU, DIMM, M.2, HDD, GPU temperature sensors), to achieve the best cooling and power efficiency. When the BMC detects a temperature change, fan speed will be automatically adjusted accordingly. Fan speed profiles may also be manually created and edited* when necessary according to the user’s custom requirements.
* Enabled on selected models & performed through BMC console management GUI
GIGABYTE Servers – Optimized for AMD EPYC™
GIGABYTE has demonstrated that our server design is perfectly optimized for AMD EPYC by achieving one of the top scores* of the SPEC CPU 2017 Benchmark for AMD EPYC single socket & dual socket systems.
*For single & dual socket AMD Naples platform vs other vendors as of September 2018
GIGABYTE maintains its commitment to green products, and adheres to the latest RoHS regulations (in effect July 2017).
VMware Technology Alliance Partner
Recognized as an Advanced Partner in VMware’s Technology Alliance Partner (TAP) program enables GIGABYTE to rapidly develop and certify joint solutions or go-to-market products that leverage VMware virtualization and cloud solutions, enabling our customers to modernize their data centers and implement IT infrastructure and application services with speed, agility, and cost optimization.
Enquire with your GIGABYTE sales representative for more information about combining or integrating this server product with VMware solutions.
Product Intro Video
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.